Develop The Skills, Experience, & Network For Breaking Into The Venture Capital Industry
• Join The Investment Team Of VU Venture Partners: Become an Analyst, Associate, Principal, or Venture Partner (for Angels, Emerging Fund Managers, and individuals looking to join as a Partner at a Venture Capital fund)
• Learn & Work Alongside Top Performing Investors: 45+ yrs of VC/PE experience, investing $2B+, with over a 4x+ net cash returns as early investors in 20+ unicorns, including Beyond Meat, Facebook, Uber, Twitter, Venmo, FabFitFun, Flyr, Oculus, Oscar, Palantir, Wayflyr, Wish, etc.
• Develop Your Skills: Deal sourcing, doing due diligence, and investment evaluation
• Gain Broad Experience: Focus on seed through growth stage companies across Consumer, Enterprise, Fintech, Frontier, Healthcare, PropTech, and Web3
• Weekly Partner Meetings: Present your top investment opportunities each week
• Investment Committees: Select investment opportunities to present to the Investment Committee and participate on the Investment Commiittee by reviewing and voting on investment recommendations
• Build A Portfolio & Establish A Track Record: Make ~2-4 new portfolio company investments and ~1-3 follow-on investments per quarter (up to ~28 new investments over 12 months), each targeting a 10x+ return, and co-investing with top-tier investors
• Provide Portfolio Support: Help portfolio companies succeed
• Profit Sharing Agreement: Share in the financial upside on the investments made
• Earn A Certificate: Venture Capital Investment Experience
VU's Venture Capital Investment Apprenticeship is a 10 week program and starts week two of VU's 11 week Venture Capital Investor Accelerator program, after The Venture Capital Masterclass in Week 1.
Individuals can do the Venture Capital Investment Apprenticeship for 1-4 quarters (~3-12 months) depending on the amount of investment experience the individual wants to gain and the size of the track record the individual wants to build by investing in up to 30 companies.
U.S. / LatAm / Europe Cohort Dates:
• Summer 2023: Jun 12 - Aug 25
• Fall 2023: Oct 2 - Dec 15
• Winter 2024: Jan 15 - Mar 29
• Spring 2024: Apr 1 - Jun 14
• Summer 2024: Jun 17 - Aug 30
• Fall 2024: Sept 30 - Dec 13
U.S. Night-Time / Asia-Pacific / MEA Cohort Dates:
• Summer 2023: Jul 10 - Sept 22
• Fall 2023: Oct 9th - Dec 22
• Winter 2024: Jan 22 - Apr 5
• Spring 2024: Apr 8 - Jun 21
• Summer 2024: Jun 24 - Sep 6
• Fall 2024: Oct 7 - Dec 20
• Full-Time: 10 Weeks, 5 Days per Week, Mon-Fri, ~9am-5pm
• Flexible: 10 Weeks, Minimum of ~20 Hours per Week
Attend VU's programs from our San Francisco and Hong Kong offices, or virtually from anywhere!
San Francisco Office: 1700 Montgomery St, Suite 440, San Francisco, CA 94111
Hong Kong Office: The Workst@tion, 43 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, Hong Kong
• Individuals Looking To Join A Venture Capital Fund As An Analyst, Associate, Principal, Or Partner
• Individuals Looking To Join Or Launch Accelerators, Startup Studios, Family Offices, Corporate Venture Funds, & Institutional Funds
• Emerging Fund Managers
• Angel Investors & Family Offices
• Experienced Professionals & Industry Experts Looking To Transition Their Career Into The VC/PE Industry
• Entrepreneurs Who Want To Learn To Think Like Investors
• Select Undergraduate & Graduate Students
Detailed Overview Of Investment Apprenticeship Program
Forming Deal Sourcing Teams:
At the end of Week 1 (The Venture Capital Masterclass), Cohort members form vertical focused investment teams across Consumer, Enterprise, Fintech, Frontier, Healthcare, PropTech, and Web3 based on each cohort members interests, expertise, and background.
Week 2 is Startup Madness, where ~60-100 companies pitch VU's investment team from some of the top accelerators in the world. Throughout the rest of the program, there are also additional Pitch Days, where other startup accelerator companies pitch VU's investment team.
Deal Flow Assignment:
Each cohort member is assigned ~100 companies to review and reach out to. These companies are sourced and identified by VU's internal deal flow tracking system of top companies (~3-4K companies per quarter).
Market Landscape Development:
Each cohort member identifies, builds, and evaluates their own market landscapes within the sub-verticals of their deal sourcing team's focus.
Sourcing Proprietary Deal Flow:
Each cohort member generates their own proprietary deal flow after being trained in five core deal sourcing methodologies, and adds to the overall total deals sourced per quarter (~4-5K companies per quarter).
Weekly Deal Sourcing & Management Team Meetings:
Each of the deal sourcing teams meet weekly with VU's senior investment team to discuss their top deals, ask questions, get feedback, and request introductions to help with deal sourcing and due diligence.
Weekly Partners Meetings:
Each Monday, VU has a weekly Partners Meeting across all offices (San Franciso and Hong Kong), where each deal sourcing team presents their top 1-2 deals to the General Partners. A decision is then made to pass or move forward into deeper due diligence on each company. Each deal sourcing team competes their prior weeks top deal flow with the current weeks top deal flow, narrowing down to their best investment opportunities over ~3 months.
Each deal sourcing team completes multiple levels of due diligence, including initial, 2nd level, 3rd level, and final level of due diligence. Deeper due diligence includes market sizing (TAM, SAM, & SOM), competitive landscape analysis, evaluating the team, reviewing historical and projected financials, reviewing cap tables, speaking with current and potential customers, speaking with current and new investors, and building a waterfall and return analysis.
If there is an investment opportunity that has the conviction of one or more members of the cohort and investment team, the opportunity can be brought to the Investment Committee for review and approval. The Investment Committee includes VU's senior management team and the members of the cohort. Each quarter there are usually 5-10 Investment Committee meetings, and each member of the cohort has the opportunity to pitch to as well as vote on one or more of the Investment Committee meetings.
Green Lighting Investments:
Once an investment opportunity has received the "green light" at the Investment Committee, the investment opportunity is then shared and presented to VU's VU's Investor Syndicate, Bonded Capital. VU's investors in the Investor Syndicate then select investments on a deal-by-deal basis and makee initial investments of ~$100K-$1M per company as well as additional capital from committed funds.
If there is availability in the investment rounds, at VU's sole discretion, and with no obligation, current cohort members, VU alumni, and close relationships of cohort members and VU alumni may participate in the investment rounds if they are accredited investors. If a current cohort member participates in an investment round through VU's Investor Syndicate, there is no management fees or carried interest on their investment.
Each cohort makes ~2-4 new portfolio company investments and ~1-3 follow-on investments per quarter.
Possible outcomes: It's possible that many of the vertical investment teams (Consumer, Enterprise, FinTech, Frontier, Healthcare, PopTech, & Web3) will make one investment each during the quarter, but it's also possible that a vertical investrment team (e.g. the FinTech team) will make more than one investment or no investments by the end of the quarter.
There is no requirement for a vertical investment team to make an investment during the quarter. Having the strength to pass on making an investment, and not feeling the need to make an investment, is an important lesson and skill to gain. Equally important is gaining the strength to pull the trigger when you've identified a truly extraordinary opportunity that has ability to yield a 10-100x return and is worth the risk with real capital.
At the end of day, the overall goal is to make the best possible investments in any given quarter. It is important each cohort member acts as a team player, as all cohort members equally share in the upside across all investments made during the quarter.
Disclaimer: *Foreign nationals participating in Venture University's program in the United States are not able to receive the profit sharing agreement as part of the Investor Accelerator unless they have a J1 Visa or other type of Visa allowing them to work in the United States. Individuals participating in Venture University's Investor Accelerator program outside of the United States are able to receive the profit sharing agreement. Individuals that participate in and complete the Investor Accelerator receive a profit sharing agreement that is tied to the future performance of the investments made during the program. Individuals that participate in Venture University's programs do not receive an equity stake in Venture University's investment funds or an equity stake in any of Venture University's portfolio companies. If an individual that participates in the Investor Accelerator is an accredited investor, then at Venture University's sole discretion, the individual may be allowed to, but is not required to, nor have any obligation to, invest in Venture University's investment fund or a portfolio company through Venture University's investment fund. There is no guarantee of any return of capital or profits from the investments made, as the risks of investing are high, the future outcomes from the investments are unknown, and could result in a 100% loss of invested capital in the portfolio companies, or result in a small or significant amount of profits for individuals in the Investor Accelerator which will be recognized as income and be taxable.